Saturday, January 28, 2006

Calling all angels

So, I've no excuse for not updating the blog for a week. My sincerest apologies to the four or six people who actually check this thing. Been busy at work, but then who hasn't?

Mostly I've been dry for material, slacking, struggling with a post that just won't write itself, and contributing to these guys' insanity:
Sweet Rigs; click thru that link and check 'em out. They deserve a shout, not merely for being a bunch of crazy dudes with a gut-bustingly hilarious concept, but also because they're providing a public service by ridiculing the truly egregious examples of pavement pollution in this our fair nation.

In lieu of writing about actual blogworthy topics, I figured I'd clutter the bandwidth by giving a shout out to other bloggers I regularly read:

Stop in and give the
Waiter a glance. He's quite deservedly been nominated for the Bloggies, so if you enjoy what you read, go vote for him. I was a waitron myself in a former life, and some of his posts have had me literally doubled over in hysterics. When he's not funnier than a bag of ferrets, he can come up with some amazing philosophical insight; as a former Jesuit priest, he's got an unique perspective and the intellectual capacity to do so.

Cheers to
O / Melissa, a famous, formerly anonymous blogger. It was her witty cynicism that drew me into the blog format in the first place. She recently outed herself and quit her legal career to go it alone. A great leap of faith that the rest of us languishing in Corporate Hell can merely look on in envy.

Not quite on the Celebrity Blog level, but no less valid or intriguing for that is my good friend
Marty's blog. Her photography kicks mine to the kerb (in my defence, she's a pro, yo), she's a lot more disciplined about updating, and her witty observations regularly blow me away.

And my current favourite cycling blog.
This kid isn't a celebrity... yet. But he's only 23, so give him a chance.

um, cut to random pretty photo that I can't think of where else to put, or anything really germane to say:


O, right, here's a link for a
funny freakin' site, and it comes full circle on the I Hate Cars theme I started the post with (uhh... reaching a tad mebbe, but Sweet Rigs harshes pretty rough on the internal combustion crowd).

To complete the blog cliche theme, I'll leave you with some cheezy song lyrics that handily sum up my current jaded take on society:

I need a sign, to let me know you're here;
All of these lines are being crossed over the atmosphere.
I need to know, that things are gonna look up;
'Cause I feel us drowning in a sea spilled from a cup.

When there is no place safe and no safe place to put my head,
When you can feel the world shake from the words that are said.

And I'm, calling all angels
And I'm, calling all you angels

And I won't give up, if you don't give up
I won't give up, if you don't give up
I won't give up, if you don't give up
I won't give up, if you don't give up

I need a sign to let me know you're here;
'Cause my TV set just keeps it all from being clear.
I want a reason for the way things have to be;
I need a hand to help build up some kind of hope inside of me.

And I'm, calling all angels.
And I'm, calling all you angels.

When children have to play inside, so they don't disappear;
While private eyes solve marriage lies cause we don't talk for years.
And football teams are kissing Queens and losing sight of having dreams,
In a world where what we want is only what we want until it’s ours

And I'm, calling all angels.
And I'm, calling all you angels.


Yeah this song by Train epitomises a schmaltzy histrionic pop ballad that's probably already been mad converted to Elevator Muzak, but dammit, I'm 37. If I want to shut myself in my room and listen to it over and over again whilst clutching my favourite teddy bear like some angst-ridden teenager, I will.

LFR

1 Comments:

Blogger jdub said...

The wait is always worth every last word. Thanks for the props to SR, your a welcome addition to the crew. I love that H2 site! a serious kick in the pants! Between your and Marty's blog, Im quitting as soon as I am debt free. Im heading to the mountains and going from there. personal assistant to the filthy rich? ski waxer? plow driver!! Thats it! Im gettin back to the Rooooooot down...

Oh yeah, thanks for getting that song stuck in my head now. I appreciate that alot, alot.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home